Saturday, June 4, 2011

The post in which I get distracted and rant about bacteria and bubble bath flavors...

My little girl is turning two on Wednesday. Hold on a second while I hyperventilate. How did two years go by already?!??! Holy moly she is growing up way too darn fast! 

Anyway, Emma doesn't know it yet, but for her birthday, her Daddy and I got her some new things for the bathtub. You see, we had seen this segment on the Today show about a year ago where they talked about how much bacteria and other disgusting gross things fester in bathtub toys....especially the ones that have little holes so you can squirt water from them. Moisture sits in the toys and most people don't think to clean them because hello? they are getting a "bath" every day. But in reality, that water that they are in is filled with dirt and feces and germs galore. Sooooo we promptly threw away all of her tub toys that had any ability to collect water. The poor girl has been surviving with a few little toys for a solid year. But she loves the bath. She faithfully plays with those silly toys and never complains..sweet thing. She's also just starting to get into bubbles so we decided to get her some bubble bath and bathtub crayons for her birthday. 

Let me just take a bunny trail here and talk about the bubble bath options out there. First we went to Ollie's because they always have random things for awesomely cheap prices but alas....no bubble bath. So we headed down the street to Babies R Us where I knew I could find bubble bath (just not nearly as cheap....oh well). I perused the bath aisle and found the bubble bath section and discovered that much to my dismay almost all of the options had some crazy ridiculous scent. Wet wild watermelon. Mango. Triple Berry Blast. I don't know about the rest of you (and to each his own) but I have never been a fan of smelling like a food. I remember when it was cool to get lotion from Bath and Body Works and they had all kinds of those types of smells...still do I'm sure. But I prefer to eat my food and smell fresh and lovely and good. Even vanilla is stretching it for me. So you better believe that I was NOT going to have my sweet baby girl smelling like a fruit stand at market. I love fresh out of the tub baby smell. I love Johnson and Johnson's baby cream. I was disappointed that I couldn't get her a fun bubble bath container with Elmo or princesses on it, but sorry girlfriend...momma is a bubble bath snob and wanted you to smell good so we went with plain old Johnson and Johnson's. Ok that was totally unrelated to this post but I had to go there. Am I alone in my disgust in food smelling body things??

Alright, back to the point. Where was I? Oh yes...bubble bath and bathtub crayons. I got the tub crayons because girlfriend likes to color. She gets all close to the paper and holds the crayon the right way and lays on her belly like she's way too old and it's so darn cute. Recently I've been letting giving her a bag of crayons and her coloring book to work on while I take my shower. It's an endless mission of finding ways to keep her out of trouble and entertained so I can take a shower. I thought this was a pretty solid idea. You probably know where this is headed. Because you probably have some common sense and can put two and two together. Give a toddler a crayon, let her loose and this is what you'll find when you're done showering:


Feel free to enlarge this so you can get the full effect. You guessed it. She colored all over the bathroom floor. Circles. She's really into drawing circles which is awesome....just not on the floor.



So as a consequence, she had to help Mommy clean it up. Would you believe this was HARD to get off the floor?!? I was scraping with my nails and everything! I'd say I hope she learned her lesson but really I think it was me who learned the lesson: do not give an unsupervised toddler crayons and expect walls and floors to stay clean.

And another lesson: I am long-winded. It took a really long time for me to get to the point of this whole post. "Emma colored on the floor during my shower." See, that's just not as fun to read. :) Happy weekend everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. have you seen washable crayons??? they literally wipe off walls and doors & probably bathroom floors! (i rhymed!!!) i have a box myself- they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete