Friday, May 6, 2011

Colson Scott - his name story

I was planning on doing a post of Colson's newborn pictures, but then I realized that almost all of you are friends with me on Facebook so you've seen my favorites already. So I decided to combine to posts: why we chose the name Colson Scott and I'll throw in some newborn pictures just because he's so darn cute and I like to look at him. :)


I LOVE to think about names. My hubby on the other hand doesn't "love" it. He's a very practical guy so he doesn't like to come up with names until we know whether we're having a girl or a boy. He figures why spend time coming up with names that we won't need. So for 20 weeks or so, I have to keep my name ideas to myself and it's torture for me! :)

 

After we found out we were having a boy, we started to toss around name ideas. We did not agree on anything. I loved the name Jack. It was my grandfather's name who passed away several years ago and I think it's a sweet little boy's name, but would transition to an adult name also. Jarred hated it. ha. The only name he liked was Parker and I hated that.


So, I began to look for names that were a similar "style" to Parker. Jarred laughs at me when I talk about the style of names...he has no idea what that means, but you are women and I'm hoping you are with me.  Names have styles. Anyway, I brainstormed a list of "Parker-ish" names and one of the names on that list was Colson. I had seen it on a random blog I came across one time and thought it was a nice name. Jarred liked it right away so I mentally stored it away as a potential name!


Names are important to me and I believe they are important to the Lord too. Over and over again in scripture, the Lord is intentional about what He names something. They have meaning and purpose and I wanted our son to have an intentional name that meant something about his life. So I began to pray about the name Colson and ask God if this was the name for our son. Colson has 2 very similar meanings: The first is "son of Nicholas." From there I looked up Nicholas and it means "Victory" so literally Colson means "son of victory." I love that as believers, we are sons and daughters of the greatest Victory ever...Jesus! The other meaning for Colson is simply "Victory." As I prayed about this name I felt God speak two things: First that our little boy would find his identity as the "son of Victory" and also that he would experience "victory" for himself through Jesus in a lot of the areas that his dad, uncles, grandfathers, etc have struggled with. (Generational stuff) I felt confirmation that Colson was to be his name so we had a first name! I love that it's not a common, overdone name, but it's also not "weird." (or at least we don't think it is..haha)


The middle name was a struggle. :) Our last name is so long so we are careful about not having crazy long names with too many syllables. Jarred really wanted his middle name to be Scott which is also his own middle name. He liked the family aspect of it and thought it was a good short name. I didn't really have a middle name that I was in love with but I wasn't crazy about Scott. It doesn't have any great meaning (Person from Scotland) and (this is so silly and shallow) but honestly it reminded me of an early 90's boy barbie name....Ken, Todd, Scott! haha So we debated and never really confirmed a middle name. After Jarred passed out in the delivery room, I figured...I can't say no to his name now! :) just kidding. I did want to honor my husband and his desire for his son's middle name and although I wasn't in looove with it, we went with Colson Scott. It's definitely grown on me and I think it's a cute name now.


How sweet is he? I think God knew I was anxious about having a boy so he gave me a ridiculously cute one with a sweet little dimple on his cheek and an easy going personality. I can't believe blessed with are with this little guy. I mean....last night, he slept a 6.5hr stretch. He's only almost 3 weeks old! Colson Scott, you are TOO good to your Momma! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Great story and adorable baby :)

    Gabriel Flannery is a LONG name which is why I was so stuck on James as his middle name... but Ryan really wanted his name as middle and the more I thought about it, I realized carrying Ryan's name (and submitting to him!) carried much more weight than the sound of a name with number of syllables, etc. :) Now I love it :) God blesses submission, eh?

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete