Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Coupon Soapbox

As promised, a totally non-baby post! :)

Jarred's working unbelievably long days right now so last night, after bathing and getting Emma to bed, Colson and I cuddled up on the couch and watched TLC's new show "Extreme Couponing." I know lots of people are really getting into couponing these days, and I've always wanted to join in, but it seems really overwhelming to me. I have success with the way I do things now, but wondered if couponing could be even better. I hadn't seen the show before and was excited to see how these people do it...maybe I could get some tips!

So here's my thing...
Right now to maintain a low budget, I meal plan a week at a time. I make a grocery list based on the items I need to prepare my meals plus the things we need each day (lunch things, yogurt, eggs, etc). Then I head off to Aldi and get everything I can there. I usually have one or two items left that I pick up at Giant on my way home.

So I'm watching this show and these people are getting INCREDIBLE deals...I mean, buying over $1000 worth of things for $21. It was crazy. But they're getting ridiculous amounts (way more than anyone needs) of non-healthy, non-fresh things. Most of the food was boxed or canned...like 17 frozen pizzas, 45 cans of Chef Boyardi, etc. Don't get me wrong: we are all for a yummy frozen pizza every so often around here. And I'm partial (especially when pregnant) to spaghetti-o's. But I try pretty hard to make a homemade, relatively healthy meal for dinner each night. So based on what I saw on the show and seeing what some other friends are buying with their coupons, I'm gathering that with coupons I could "save" lots of money...meaning: I could buy lots of things, but not spend a lot on them. BUT those things wouldn't really work for our meals and I'd still have to end up buying a lot of things for our week like fresh fruit, meat, etc.

Am I the only one who feels like couponing is cool when you see how much you can get for practically nothing, but it doesn't really seem practical when trying to keep your family on a grocery budget and healthy lifestyle?!?! I feel like everyone's gone a little coupon crazy and I'm still not on the bandwagon....


*Granted, I totally realize I've only watched one episode of a TV show and I completely confess that I don't really understand couponing. So fill me in, how do you make couponing work for you?!?!

4 comments:

  1. I don't coupon except for a) BJ's- that's how we get great deals there and it's only for things we need and b)clipper restaurant coupons. The few times that we go out to eat, we are sure to use a coupon found in Clipper Magazine :) Other than these instances, I find that when I try to use coupons, I end up buying things I wouldn't normally purchase! I think buying generic (especially going the Aldi route!) consistently is the true $ saver!

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... It doesn't seem practical for our family either... I think its cool but we like to stick to the healthy fresh foods :) its hard to find a coupon for those things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually use coupons for food... unless it's m&m's lol. But as far as toiletries I always use them. I will give you and example this week...
    CVS colgate toothpaste 2.77 but they have and "extra bucks" program where you get 2.77 back in store credit (so it's "free" in a sense), give them a coupon and you just pd 1.77 which they allow you to do that for 2 tubes. They give you the store credit back for 5.54. Your second transaction are feminine items on sale 7.99 (you have a coupon for 2.00). Total- 7.99-2.00 coupon 5.99 then store credit of 5.54 you owe .54 cents. (and this week there is a 2 dollar store credit on tampons haha save it for a baby related item).
    Long story short
    2 tubes of toothpaste and a box of tampons = 4.08 out of pocket. (with still a 2.00 credit).
    considering 1 tube can run you around 3.99 I would say it's a good deal:-)
    I think 2 tubes of toothpaste is good to last us a month or two..no need for 100 tubes haha like the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoaa didn't realize i was writing a book! And if you want "coupon tips" the pro is Donna Nesbitt... I have seen her get money back from CVS, but she doesn't go overboard like the show:-)

    ReplyDelete