I'm still here....or I guess I should say, I'm still pregnant. No baby yet! :)
Monday morning my sister-in-law called asking if they could watch Emma that evening so we could go on one more date night before this little guy comes. We couldn't pass that offer up, so Emma hung out with her cousins and we had a fun night out. Monday was gooorgeous (high 70's and perfection) so after getting home and tucking Em into bed, we went outside to sit on our porch. I was having some painful contractions and commented that I wished we could go for a walk. A relatively busy street with no sides combined with a sleeping baby meant that we couldn't really "go" anywhere so we walked up and down our long farm driveway for almost an hour, popping into the house every so often to make sure the babe was still sleeping and not ruining the house. It was hilarious and fun and random. The contractions subsided shortly after we came inside, but I really enjoyed the time with Jarred and was blessed by his willingness to walk the driveway with me. :)
Yesterday morning I had my 38.5 week doctor's appointment. I'm still 2cm and 75% effaced (no change in the last 3 visits), but my wonderful midwife offered to "shake things up" and hopefully get baby moving on out! (aka strip my membranes). Jarred came along, knowing she'd be doing this for me, so I wouldn't have to worry about how to occupy Emma during the procedure. The whole thing took about 10 seconds after which my husband says, "That's it? You did it?" Cheri looked at him and laughed and said, "Um yes that's it. Would you like me to do it to you? It's not as nice as it looks." haha It was fast for sure, but definitely uncomfortable! :)
She said that probably within 24-48 hrs labor *should* start, and worse case scenario: I'm back in another week for my 39 week appointment. Leading up to the appointment I tried really really hard not to get my hopes up and assume that it was going to work. I had heard plenty of stories of how it did nothing or took a day or two to work so I tried to keep that in mind. My sister-in-law (who has babies like it's a walk in the park) has had this done her last 2 pregnancies and delivered the baby within hours. So with that as an example, poor Jarred was calling every few hours the rest of the day checking in on me.
At this point (over 24 hrs later) I really don't feel much different than I did before the appointment. Without going into yucky, end of pregnancy details that should really be kept private, I will just say that I'm still having random real contractions, but it's only false labor. This morning I really struggled with feeling discouraged and then was frustrated at myself for feeling that way. It's tough when my body gives signs that labor could start at any time, but then doesn't. I think in the back of my mind I was thinking that my body was probably pretty ready so this procedure was going to do the trick and start the ball rolling! Granted, I know, it still could. It's only been one day... But I'm not counting on that. God and I've been talking it out and remembering who is really in control.
In the meantime, I decided to wash the windows for the first time since they were put in 2 years ago. Emma was on bug patrol, pointing out every dead bug in each window sill and we had a fun morning cleaning and dancing to music. The house is clean, we're all healthy, the baby is doing great, and we have all of our needs provided for....and then some! I'm big, tired, and slightly uncomfortable, but I am blessed beyond measure. I needed a reminder of that today.
And I do promise to keep you posted over the next few weeks when we do welcome our son into the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment