Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In sickness and in health

It's been a sick-filled, long, no good, very bad weekend. 

To make a long story short, I basically came down with some sort of flu bug on Friday and by early Monday morning, I was still spending most of my time in the bathroom and having lots of painful contractions. We ended up being sent into the hospital as a last resort. My family doctor hasn't been any help with the awful diarrhea, but my midwife said we were welcome to come in and at least find out why I was having so many contractions and make sure the baby was doing okay. I told her on the phone and kept telling the nurses at the hospital that there was NO way I was dehydrated. I had been drinking crazy, insane amounts of water and gatorade all weekend. But after the monitors confirmed that I was in fact having lots of consistent, real contractions, they decided to give me some IV fluids. Honestly, I wasn't happy because I didn't want an IV and I didn't think I was dehydrated! Much to my shock and surprise, shortly after the fluids started pumping, my contractions nearly stopped. (Open mouth, insert foot....) I got about 2 hours worth of fluids and couldn't believe it! I'm glad we went in....there was no human way I could have rehydrated myself at home. And it was reassuring to hear little man's heartbeat pounding away AND to learn that he has (most likely...it'll be confirmed this afternoon) turned HEAD DOWN! :) yippeeee! 

A weird thing happened because of the fluid. It made me super nauseous and about halfway through, I threw up. I got about another hour of fluid pumped into me after getting sick so when we got home, I still felt pretty queasy. After attempting to eat a little bit of lunch, I headed to the bathroom, knowing it wasn't going to stay down. Now, for those of you who have never been pregnant, one of the quirky things that happens when you're big and pregnant is that you lose full control of your bladder. Sneezing, coughing, laughing, all kinds of things can cause you to pee if you aren't prepared. So, here I am, bending over the toilet, throwing up with such force that I'm wetting my pants at the same time. There was nothing I could do. haha To top it all off, I blew my nose after I was done getting sick and realized I'd also given myself a bloody nose. Jarred came in to make sure I was okay and found his big sick wife with wet pants and a kleenex in her nose. Talk about sticking with each other in sickness and in health. :)

Today I'm feeling much better. I'm still not 100%, but I'm up and moving and starting to feel human again. Who's ready for Spring??

No comments:

Post a Comment