Dear Sarah,
A few things you should know...
-Right now all you can think about is "WILL I EVER STOP THROWING UP!?!?!" So many "helpful" strangers think it's nice to empathize with you by sharing the fact that they threw up the entire pregnancy. Ignore them. That's depressing and you WILL feel better....around week 16. That first trimester nonesense is balony. The nausea doesn't stop for several weeks into your second trimester but it WILL stop! :)
-The first month of your baby's life is all about survival. You will be hormonal, exhausted, and find yourself up in the middle of the night thinking crazy thoughts and staring at your baby and wondering "Is ________ normal?" Is it normal that her breathing looks shallow? Is it normal that she barely ever blinks? Is it normal that ______? Turn on some worship music, pray for peace and know that what you're feeling is so very normal. You will eventually settle into a new routine and your hormones will calm down and you'll feel better.
-The best advice I was ever given was this: Don't compare yourself to other Moms, ESPECIALLY moms who have multiple kids. They seem to have it all together and know exactly how to handle everything. First of all, they really don't have it all together. Secondly, they've had experience and have figured out what works for them and their family. You'll get there and it may turn out totally different for your family. They were probably just as insecure and awkward as you are with their first child.
-Figure out what works for you and your kid and stick with it. There are a LOT of opinions out there. Cry it out or not. Breastfeed or bottle. Spanking or not. Vaccination or delayed schedule. The list goes on and on. Pray about it, talk about it with your hubby and go with your gut. Respect others' choices and pray that they'll respect yours. If they don't....oh well.
-Half of the things you NEED, you won't use. I just sold the Boppy Pillow everyone swore was the best thing ever. Used it once or twice.
-That darn line (linea nigra?) doesn't go away right away. This totally bummed me out. I didn't want that thing maybe more than I didn't want stretch marks and I thought once the baby came out, it'd go away. It takes a good long while for that thing to fade and it'll never really go totally away.
-When you're up in the night for the 9th time, changing your shirt AGAIN because she projectile vomited all over you, and pulling your hair out because you can't figure out why she's crying.....never ever ever forget what a privilege being a mommy is. Thousands of women would die for the chance to be in your shoes.....poopy explosions and all. It's an amazing honor that not everyone gets to experience.
-Oh and don't even bother trying to squeeze into your pre-pregnancy clothes for a few months. It's depressing, it's uncomfortable and your hot pants don't look so hot when you're sporting a muffin top. Go buy some cheap things to get you through a few months and be proud of every pudge and roll.....you just created a human. :)
Love,
Me
Fellow Mommys...what am I missing? What would you tell yourself if you had the chance?
-That darn line (linea nigra?) doesn't go away right away. This totally bummed me out. I didn't want that thing maybe more than I didn't want stretch marks and I thought once the baby came out, it'd go away. It takes a good long while for that thing to fade and it'll never really go totally away.
-When you're up in the night for the 9th time, changing your shirt AGAIN because she projectile vomited all over you, and pulling your hair out because you can't figure out why she's crying.....never ever ever forget what a privilege being a mommy is. Thousands of women would die for the chance to be in your shoes.....poopy explosions and all. It's an amazing honor that not everyone gets to experience.
-Oh and don't even bother trying to squeeze into your pre-pregnancy clothes for a few months. It's depressing, it's uncomfortable and your hot pants don't look so hot when you're sporting a muffin top. Go buy some cheap things to get you through a few months and be proud of every pudge and roll.....you just created a human. :)
Love,
Me
Fellow Mommys...what am I missing? What would you tell yourself if you had the chance?
oh my gosh.... some of these are hysterical! I love the hot pants and muffin top one, I will keep that in mind in 20 weeks when I am "thinking" about those hot pants:-)
ReplyDelete