Friday, September 9, 2011

Food for Thought (and a few funny stories)

It's been quite a while since I've posted. August has come and gone. We've been through an earthquake, a hurricane, a tropical storm, Colson turning 4 months old, and everything in between.

Honestly, I've been chewing on something for a few weeks now and I don't feel like I'm done processing it yet and I guess that's why I haven't written anything. To put it simply, I've been thinking about the safety and wisdom of writing and sharing pictures about my family and my children in a place where anyone can read it. I don't mean to come across as an alarmist and I'm still working on finding the balance but the fact of the matter is that there are creeps out there and although I do try to be careful about sharing important details about our lives (last names, when we're out of town, exactly where we live, etc) it is a reality that I want to be sensitive to. I also want to be respectful and honoring of my family's privacy. I don't share about my husband or my marriage very often (and I'm very protective of what I write when I do) but I've recently been thinking about wanting to respect my children's privacy as well.

I don't know. On the other hand, I love to write! Typing is faster for me than handwriting so this is a quicker way to get out my thoughts and stories and details. And there are things I want to remember. I've written things in here that don't really get written down in baby books. And it's fun (and easy) to look back and get a much more descriptive picture of what each kid was like at this age or that stage. And seriously, kids do the FUNNIEST things! So often something happens and I am just dying to share it with someone, anyone just so we can laugh together.

Let's just take a bunny trail so I can tell you about two such instances.
-Exhibit A: The kids and I are at a neighbor's house so I can help her upload pictures onto her computer and snapfish.com so she can have them printed. Emma is playing with a toy doctor's kit and comes to ask me what a certain object is. I tell her it's a thermometer to take your temperature with and then turn my attention back to the computer and whatever I was doing. I glance back over minutes later to find my dainty (way too smart for her own good) little girl using the thermometer the very technical, most accurate way. As in, how she sees me take her baby brother's temperature.  Be.still.my.heart. I almost died. I was mortified and shocked and impressed and embarrassed and cracking up all at the same time.

-Exhibit B: We are getting life insurance. (I know...we have 2 kids. Probably should have done this about 2 years ago. oh well.) Who knew, but when you get life insurance, a nurse comes to your house to basically give you a check up. Take your blood, weigh you, do a urine sample, get your height and blood pressure....all that jazz. Our appt was at 9am this morning. The kids get up at 6am. Three hours to get my act together. We ate breakfast, I vacuumed, I did the dishes, I got Emma set up with watercolor paints, I threw in a load of laundry, I got the kids dressed, I tidied the downstairs. I was trying SO hard to get everything ready and have our house look semi-presentable. And yet, when she showed up (10 minutes early) there I was, answering the door in my pajamas, without a shower, in my glasses, with a baby on my hip.  So very classy.  Add to the mix Emma running around in a panic because she was SURE that the nurse was here to give her a shot and we were a hot mess.


It's those kind of things. Funny little snippets of the crazy, mundane things in our life with two little kids and a farm that I love sharing. But I continue to have this nagging feeling of wondering what the wisest things to do is. Without a second thought I would do anything for the safety and best interest of my children and family and of course I would never sacrifice safety for the sake of sharing a laugh....but I also don't want to overreact and be an alarmist.

All that being said, I guess I just wanted to fill ya'll in on where I'm at and say HI and we're still here and all is well! Pray for clarity and discernment for me if you think of it. I don't know how often I'll write or if I'll continue writing or what the future holds for the Farming Momma's blog, but we'll see. Maybe I'll change it up and focus more on some other aspects of our lives (I've tried some AWESOME recipes lately that I'm dying to share..things like that.) Who knows! :)

Be blessed sweet friends!

3 comments:

  1. I think you have to do what you feel comfortable with. At this point in my life, I don't feel a problem about it. For me, it's my way of just documenting my life and sharing our story, and as someone who loves photography, it would be like cutting off a limb to have no photos. So I do what I can to protect them, and past that, I just have to hope and pray nothing crazy happens.

    But I would never persuade someone who was uncomfortable with it to keep doing x,y, or z. Do what you feel is best for your family in your eyes, and just remember that for someone else it may be different ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been feeling the same way, your not the only one! Emma is so funny!!!!! I can't believe how fast these girls are growing up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Emma! Love it.... I love funny stories like that! As far as safety... You could make it private? Then only those that ask to be invited can read it:-)

    ReplyDelete