Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Life lessons

Recently, my bible study girls and I have been digging into Titus, especially the verses that speak about how older women are to teach certain things to younger women. It's been a really interesting, life giving study. From that frame of mind, I started thinking about what big things I want to teach my daughter (and my son). Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the day to day toddler discipline (don't lick that, keep your underwear on, you have to eat something other than cheese today) and this was really fun to think about. I know most of these things we will talk about when they are much older, but I also want my (our) life/lives to lead by example and I want to be intential about walking out what I preach. :)

So....here's the top things I want my kids to learn.


For my daughter
-The most important thing you can ever learn is how precious you are to Jesus. He thinks you are the most beautiful one. He died for you. He is for you, always. He will never ever leave you. Understanding this will give you a foundation no one can shake.

-The world will try to convince you that beauty is on the outside, that modesty is dorky, and standards should be flexible. Those are lies.

-Middle school is awkward for nearly everyone. This too shall pass.

-Sometimes when you're feeling grumpy, a shower, pretty make up, and your favorite outfit will do wonders to improve your mood. When all else fails, try chocolate.

-Look (and wait) for a man who cherishes you. Don't ever settle for anything less. He should be a strong, Godly leader, respectful, hardworking, and fun. He will be perfect for you, but he'll never be perfect. Don't try to change him. It won't work and you'll both be miserable. Fight hard for your marriage. It's a precious gift in life.

-Have fun every day.

-Comparing yourself to others is a slippery slope. Someone will always *seem* prettier, smarter, a better cook, a better wife, etc etc. Learn to love who God created you to be and recognize unfair expectations you are putting in yourself.

-When your man asks whats wrong and you respond "nothing" he really doesn't know you're lying.




For my son
-You were created to be a strong, victorious warrior for the Kingdom of God. You were also created to be a lover of Jesus. They don't contradict each other. You can be both. Strong and sensitive. Powerful and tender. Leader and follower. I think finding this balance is key.

-The world will try to convince you that lust and pornography are normal. They are not;in fact they are sinful and disrespectful to women. As a man of God, you are called to a higher standard and (hear me loudly, son) you CAN and WILL walk in victory over these strongholds.

-Learn your way around the kitchen, pick up your wet towel, put your dirty clothes in the hamper, and clean off the sink after shaving. Your wife will thank me for this someday.

-Look (and wait) for a woman who knows who she is in Christ and carries herself with grace and integrity. Someone who makes you want to be a better man yet adores you for who you are.

-Do what you love and makes you feel alive.

-Your (immature) peers will try to convince you to join them in their wrong doings. Standing up for what you know is right makes you a man. Succumbing makes you a coward. Be a man of strong character.

-A stay-at-home momma's job is equally as hard and important as yours.


That's all I've got so far. As fun as it was writing it all out, it also really made me again recognize how desperately I need Jesus to guide our parenting. This is a tough job y'all! Rewarding? Ooooooh yes, but also? Pretty hard work.

What am I missing? Anyone else got some life lesson thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I think a good lesson for boys and girls- no one's sin against you could ever compare to your sin against God- keep in mind the way He graciously forgave you when you have trouble forgiving others.

    Something I'm thinking about these days...

    p.s. love this post :-)

    ReplyDelete