The kiddos are growing and changing by the hour these days it seems like. I wanted to write down a few things that we are experiencing or going through with both of them right now just so I can remember what was going on at this age for them. Feel free to skip this post if you don't have an interest in things like Emma's first hair trim or Colson's sleep habits. I won't be offended. :)
-Emma is a JOY and a CHALLENGE right now. She is testing boundaries and working through a whiny phase which tests my patience, but she is also filling my days with laughter and fun. Her language is developing by leaps and bounds. I am constantly amazed at what comes out of her mouth (in a good way! haha) and how much she is learning. She is working on learning how to count (right now it's mostly...two, three, nine ten), she knows most of her colors, and we've been singing simple nursery rhymes and songs together. Her favorite is the Itsy Bitsy Spider. She also picks The Three Little Pig as her nighttime book every.single.night. She loves to say BO DA HOUSE DOWN! (blow the house down) after Daddy says "I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll.....) It's so much fun. The teacher in me is eating this phase up because I love to watch her soak up knowledge and figure things out. She's constantly asking "Doing Mommy?" aka What are you doing Mommy? or asking what everyone is doing. She's working hard to figure out her environment. It's cute.
-The rat tail is gone my friends. g-o-n-e. I cut my daughter's hair. That may not seem like a big deal kind of sentence to any of you, but seriously....I CUT my daughter's hair. ah! I never thought the day would come. Now, of course, this wasn't a normal person hair cut. She still doesn't have enough hair for that! But after giving her a bath the other night, I couldn't stop laughing at the rat tail that comes down past her shoulders when wet. It's awful and I knew that it was just going to keep growing with the rest of her hair and that's when I knew I had to do it. I couldn't let my pretty lady go another day sporting a rat tail AND a mullet. It's just not nice to do to a girl. I was having visions of her looking back at childhood pictures and saying "Mom, WHAT were you thinking!?!??! My hair looks ridiculous!! Why didn't you just cut it?" haha Granted I think that's something everybody has to do at some point and I wouldn't want to deny her the opportunity of teasing me someday but enough was enough. It was time to snip those long strands off.
Oh and don't worry...I saved them. Put those little blond strands in her baby book for posterity.
-The same night I gave my son a mohawk after his bath. His hair seems to be growing at a normal pace and I had fun playing with it. It was stinkin' cute at almost 3 months. If he ever comes home with one for real, I may not think it's so cute anymore. :)
-He is developing more and more. He's just starting to roll and eat his hands - super cute. He has also developed a preference and opinion of wanting to be held to sleep. It's throwing me for a bit of a loop. His sister was so easy - as a newborn, she always nursed to sleep (even for naps) and around 3 or 4 months she started staying awake for some time after. When she would send out tired signals (fussy, rubbing eyes) I would take her up to her crib and lay her down and she'd go to sleep. Easy peasy. Colson on the other hand sort of does the Babywise schedule naturally. He nurses, plays for about an hour and then gets sleepy. He will easily fall asleep in my arms, but I guess because his sister was around this age when she started self-soothing, I've been more conscious of the fact that I don't want to start a bad habit. I've tried laying him down right as his eyes are starting to nod off (aka I KNOW he's tired) but he wakes right up and starts crying. If I pick him up, he'll be back to sleep in my arms before I'm even out of his room which makes me know he's just being picky. I don't blame him...I'd probably prefer to be cuddled too! :) But I also want to be wise in helping him learn how to fall asleep on his own. I guess I would just appreciate prayer (rather than advice hehe). I am planning to really seek God's heart for this little guy and ask for wisdom in what is best for him. Pray that we would have clear direction and be obedient to what we feel like Colson needs right now.
I guess I'll wrap it up with that. There's so much more I could say because they are so complex and wonderful and awesome, but this is getting long and I've got errands to run and zucchini cupcakes with cream cheese icing to make (so yummy, I'll have to share the recipe later) and little ones to enjoy!
You are an excellent mama :) Praying for you as you parent your sweet littles. Ahh... perspective is a funny thing. I look back on my newborn days with Gabriel and would have LOVED if the little boy wanted to sleep in my arms :) hehe. then again, I wasn't raising a 2 yr old at the same time!
ReplyDeleteLet's get together soon, k??
p.s. not sure if that was clear. I said I would have loved it because it never happened! I can count on one hand the number of times I remember him sleeping in my arms. That was a rare treat :)
ReplyDelete