Thursday, July 15, 2010

Post Baby Body

For those of you who don't know me very well, I'll give some background info. I was a competitive gymnast for many years, working out about 35 hrs a week at the gym. I was tiny, muscular and in shape. Shortly before I started high school, I decided to quit gymnastics simply because I didn't enjoy it very much anymore.  Because I had been working out so much, my growth had been stunted a little so naturally, when I stopped working out like that, I grew...fast. I was still on the tiny side comparatively, but for me...it seemed huge. My frame of reference was all of my friends who were also gymnasts and had teeny tiny bodies. Although I just barely hit the 100lb mark, I felt awful. I didn't know how to handle having an "average" body and because I grew so quickly, I got stretch marks on my legs. (Now I laugh thinking about how I didn't get any stretch marks during pregnancy, but I did get them my freshman year of high school haha) Throughout the rest of high school and through most of my college  years I battled weight issues. I was anorexic and bulemic and constantly struggled mentally to accept myself. The end of my freshman year of college was rock bottom. I came home and my friends and family were worried. According to them I was a skeleton of myself both physically and mentally. 

Shortly after I graduated college, I officially met (we'd known of each other for years) my hubby and I remember during our marriage counseling, talking with our mentors about how much his love had changed me. I had had boyfriends in the past go to incredibly sweet extremes to try to help me get past my issues. Jarred hadn't really ever "tried" anything. With him, I just didn't think about it anymore. Seriously, by the grace of God...it was gone! :)

Then we got pregnant. (well ok, then we got married and THEN we got pregnant) I had always heard people say.."you're body will never be the same, blah blah blah." I LOVED being pregnant, aside from the being sick for weeks on end part. I felt great, loved my belly, and enjoyed the whole experience. After having Emma, I had no idea what to expect. I didn't know if the weight would fall right off or if it would take lots of work and exercise to get back in shape. To my surprise...I lost all of my baby weight and then some VERY fast. Granted, not being able to have any dairy in my diet really cut out a lot of the delicious fattening foods I could eat so I'm sure that helped a lot. I honestly liked my post baby body better than pre baby me! I think seeing yourself big and swollen for 9 months really makes you appreciate how small you are without a big belly and swollen legs! I nursed Emma for a year after she was born which also worked really well for us and helped burn extra calories too. 

And so here we are.... 

I'm all done nursing (no more burning calories just sitting around) and yet I'm still in the habit of munching a lot. Seriously, I was SO hungry all the time when I was nursing! haha But because I'm not nursing anymore, I'm starting to feel a little yucky. I should clarify right away that I by no means feel myself headed back towards eating disorder territory (I totally have freedom in Jesus in that area!), but it's just been a few days of "blech." I guess it's time to start eating a little more purposefully and maybe find some friends who would be up for going for some walks! :) Anyone game?? 

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'll walk with ya! Plus I live really close! Lol! But I'd have to get sneakers first! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in! haha In November:-) It will probably be very cold, maybe next summer??

    ReplyDelete