Monday, September 21, 2009

Apple Day 2009


You did WHAT today Momma??

A recap of the VanderPlate Apple Day 2009....
First you get LOTS of apples! We went to Cherry Hill Orchards and bought their 2nds which turn out great, but are much cheaper. (I say much cheaper but really I'm not sure how much it would cost otherwise...all I know is they were $8.00 for a half bushel and I got 3 half bushels!) So you slice up the apples and cook them over the stove until they are nice and mushy.


Next we dumped the cooked, mushy apples into this sauce maker and Uncle Josh turned the crank. The skins separate from the sauce and out comes the applesauce!

Then we have our servant children stir in the sugar. haha This picture of Abbey cracks me up! She was doing her "eyes" but it looks like we are forcing small children to make applesauce for us!

Levi gives it another stir using both hands to do an extra great job!

Finally we have our panel of baby judges rate our work. They took their job very seriously. Note the deep concentration in their faces....

The verdict is in and....

Both girls showed their disdain by gagging. Emma was especially disgusted. More sugar please Momma!!

Our final result: Lots of yummy applesauce for the coming year! :) It turned out very pick! I haven't been a big applesauce fan after a good couple years of having to swallow my pills in a spoonful of applesauce, but something about making it yourself makes you enjoy it a lot more! I did 10 of them without sugar so I can use them as baby food for Emma. So far we've got peaches and applesauce for her to enjoy....I can't wait to start trying them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment